Tuesday, July 8, 2008

AFI's top 100 movies

When I saw the list of AFI's top 100 movies I started laughing profusely. I thought it was a joke. Citizen Kane #1? Are you kidding me? Here is a link to check out the list yourself- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years..._100_Movies_(10th_Anniversary_Edition)

Tell me what your opinion of the list is. I know that they need to preserve the classic movies and look at it in its time period, but most of these movies are borderline unwatchable. I specifically rented Citizen Kane because of this list and I fell asleep- literally! Let me ask this- how can a silent film be in the top 10?!? Do they not know that it is 2008.

I would like to know what everyone thinks are the top 10 movies of all time. Not your favorites, but the 10 best of all time. Here's mine-
1. The Godfather
2. Star Wars
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Casablanca
5. Schindler's List
6. Gone With the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. 12 Angry Men
9. The Godfather Part 2
10. Titanic

2 comments:

Exohmovielover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Exohmovielover said...

Sorry I deleted my last comment cause I forgot to mention a few things. I totally see where you are coming from because I watched Citizen Kane in film class. I fell asleep too. However that movie was a big contribution to filmaking and thats why its on the top of the list. In fact I think you really got to pay attention in that movie cause it has a lot of symbolism. Like in one scene with Charles and his wife and how their marriage fell apart. The first part shows them at the table and they are really close and as the scene continues through the years the table grows longer and longer showing that they were growing apart. Even though I was bored to death watching that movie I can see why it tops that list. Honestly I need to watch a ton on that list. I think Birth of a Nation should be higher up. After all it was like the first full length film (I think).